Are your emotions all over the place? Do you feel tired, overwhelmed or lonely? Do you feel like your life has turned upside down, and you don’t know what to do? Or like you are not yourself anymore?
If you answered “yes” to any of this questions – you are not alone ❤️ Many new moms are experiencing the same challenges.
Your whole life changed when your baby was born. It was definitely one of the happiest moments in your life, but it also changed everything. And now you not only need to adjust to your new status of being a mom, but also have to re-create your life and your routines, because everything that you had so nicely organized before your pregnancy just doesn’t work anymore.
(Mom speaking here) We know exactly how you feel, and we are here to help you.
Below you will find 5 most common challenges that you as a new mom might be experiencing, along with the actions you can take to overcome those challenges.
Having to adjust to a completely new schedule and routines
Your old routines are not working anymore, and you haven’t had a chance to establish the new ones. You are being pulled in many different directions, you are constantly on the go, you barely have time to wash your face, go to the bathroom or have a bite to eat. Life seems to have turned into complete chaos.
We know how overwhelming that is…
But here is the good news – there are things you can do to overcome this challenge:
- Create structure. Structure is the biggest enemy of the chaos, right? It’s not going to be easy, but try to create a new structure, establish new routines as soon as possible. And here is what’s important here: don’t try to make your old routines work. Instead, create new ones that work for you now, in your new reality.
- Track all your habits and routines. In order for you to get used to your new life, it’s essential that you stay consistent. Find a tool that will help you track all of your activities and routines easily. It can be a planner, a habit tracking mobile app, or just post-it notes on the whiteboard in your kitchen. Choose what works best for you ✨
- Keep it as simple as possible. As we talked in a blog post about new mom’s fitness routine, it’s better to have 15-minute workouts daily (and be consistent with them) than try to squeeze a full 1 hour of working out and fail to do so. Make it as easy for yourself as possible. You are already going through too much, and we are here to make your life easier, not harder.
Being on an emotional roller coaster
Your hormones are going crazy, things are all over the place, so no surprise that you are feeling full range of emotions right now – from happiness and excitement all the way up to sadness and depression.
It is extremely exhausting. Here is what you can do to make it better:
- First and most important – accept your emotions. You having all range of feelings at the same time is okay. It is normal! Don’t hide them, don’t pretend that they don’t exist. Instead, let them all be.
- Practice affirmations. Affirmations are a very powerful tool, and they can be especially helpful in your current vulnerable emotional state.
- Track your mood regularly, preferably daily. Understanding how you feel at any point in time, as well as understanding why you feel that way will help you cope with your emotions in the most productive way.
Feeling lonely and lack of support
You used to be able to meet up with your friends regularly, you had your social life at work, and now you are stuck at home with your little one. It can result in a feeling of loneliness, you might be feeling like you are doing all of this on your own, and no one is there to support you.
If you can relate to this, then try the following:
- Plan virtual dates with your friends. Who said that meet-ups have to be happening in person? You can easily plan something fun with your besties online! And the best part – you can do it as often as you like, and in the comfort of your own home!
- Find accountability partner, or join an online accountability group. There are many such groups available on social media, so you should be able to find one. Being around other moms will help you feel understood and supported. And because you all are going through the same challenges, you will be able to give each other advice and to cheer up one another.
Experiencing self doubt and lack of confidence
As you are learning to be a mom, the chance is high that not everything will go smoothly. And when something doesn’t go as planned, you might start doubting your abilities as a mother, you might start feeling that you don’t know what you are doing. And that might result in you thinking that you are not a good mom.
Well, first of all – you ARE a good mom! You are the best mom for your baby.
Here are some steps that you can take to help you overcome this challenge:
- Reward yourself for what you do right. Too often we focus on our failures, while we should be focusing on our successes. Let’s change that! Instead of thinking about what you did wrong, bring your attention to what you did right. Were you able to put your baby to sleep? Did you have a nice walk together? Did you meditate for 10 minutes today? These are all your achievements – celebrate them and reward yourself for them ?
- Have a daily dose of inspiration and motivation. We all need more of the positive thoughts in our lives, and you right now need it more than ever. Follow inspirational accounts on social media, buy a set of motivational cards, listen to empowering podcasts, surround yourself with people who inspire you and bring you positive emotions. Make sure you create a positive and happy environment around you ❤️
Feeling like you lost yourself
Ever since you baby was born, you have been focusing all your attention on their needs. Of course that’s totally fine and is an absolutely right thing to do, but that might mean that you’ve been neglecting another very important person in your life – you.
When was the last time you did something for you? It’s probably been a while…
Well, now that you know your enemy, you know how to beat it! Try the following steps in order to get back to who you are and what your needs and desires are:
- Journaling. Journaling is a great way to put all of your thoughts in order, to practice self awareness or just to dump everything that’s on your mind so that you don’t have to constantly think about it. Feel free to use a simple notebook, or download one of the journaling apps to have access to your journal anytime you need it.
- Plan regular “self” time to check in with yourself. “How am I feeling? What do I want? How are things going with me?” These are all very important questions, and you need to make sure you ask them regularly and give yourself honest answers. Because then, based on your answers, you can make changes.
- Set goals for yourself and start working on them. What is it that you have always wanted to try? What is your passion? What are your dreams and aspirations? It might sound like the worst possible time to work on your goals, but in fact it is the best time to start pursuing your goals! Your life is already changing, so why not change it in a way you’ve always wanted?
Do you wish you had a tool that helped you address all of the challenges above? Tool that allowed you to plan and track your habits, routines and goals – all in one place? Tool that inspired and motivated you?
Some time ago Olena Mytruk was looking for such a tool and couldn’t find it. So she created one for you ❤️ It is Breverie personal development mobile app, and it has everything you need in order to succeed on your very own unique journey toward a happier, more balanced and fulfilled life. Learn more about it ?